Tuesday, March 15, 2011

NM Rail Runner

So Mindy and I took the New Mexico Rail Runner up to Santa Fe for a workshop at Theater Grottesco.   The workshop was great and we navigated the rather smooth ride:  loading our bikes on the train, finding a seat, enjoying the view, moving up to the top when more seats opened up (the Bernalillo stop), and getting off at NM 599 (the Santa Fe Relief Route) and rode the quick jaunt on NM 14 to the Outlet Malls where the workshop was held.


I just couldn't get past the feeling on how easy the whole thing was.  It just didn't feel "right."  I guess I've grown so accustomed to having to find my own route and not really counting on more than just a relatively unobstructed highway trip in my own car at my own pace and arrangements that the trip felt more "special" than "ordinary."   


This feeling needs further elaboration and development.  I guess what I'm trying to say is how many train trips, how many arrangements will I have to make without a car to get rid of the feeling that I am really only "experimenting" in this carless thing?  When will this feel normal and riding/driving a car feel "special" or somehow foreign?



1 comment:

  1. Great post! I am loving reading about your exploits. Thanks for posting! Gary

    ReplyDelete